Sunday, August 2, 2009

What Are You Worth?


What are you worth? The very question in itself has so many meanings, however it is one that eventually we all must face at least on some level. If we work for an employer, most let the employer set the wage. If we are self employed, then hopefully we are setting the wage. Marc Cashman sent me this letter that is worth sharing and thinking about before you take your next job, or assignment!

I thought I'd share a letter from veteran voice actor and respected colleague
who shall remain anonymous.
Feel free to pass this on to your colleagues as well.

With the economy in free fall, I'm sure you've been approached by folks wanting discounts and special rates. I have. And, on occasion, I have agreed. But recently a studio sent me an outline for a new service they're initiating. Some of you may have gotten it as well. Basically, it sets up a new tier of talent - listed under an alias or pseudonym - at a lower rate, all buyout and not offering product exclusivity in a market. The idea is going after budget-minded clients, small agencies or businesses or agencies that don't want the hassle of working out usage rates. While I feel somewhat like Jerry McGuire, I felt I needed to respond with more than "No, thanks." My answer is below.


While I understand the rationale behind this program, I cannot participate for the following reasons:

· Working under an alias defeats what I’ve been doing for the last 25 years; that is, building a name and reputation. I consider myself a professional and if I can’t put my name with my product, it demeans that professional status and cheapens the value of that product. Also, since I have been in the business for so long, an alias is little protection from being recognized as talent on a spot. While some smaller clients may not be concerned about exclusivity, there are plenty of clients who are and get extremely pissed if I voice for a competitor in the same market.

· The exclusivity question also strikes me at a personal level and can be summed up in one word – loyalty. I’m not usually one to pontificate but, as an aging Boy Scout, I am proud of the fact that I have scruples. I believe in “dancin’ with the one that brung ya.” Client, studio and agency relationships will always come and go, but as long as I’m treated fairly and honestly, you’ll get the same from me.

· Along those same professional lines, lowering the rates is also a bit of a slap in the face. If current rates were excessive, there might be some justification. The rates I charge personally and those set by the majority of the studios I work with are in no way excessive and in most cases well below SAG/AFTRA rates. If a client has multiple spots or is doing pro bono work, I have been and will always be willing to offer discounts. But for day-to-day clients and agencies my rates are reasonable; rates, by the way, that haven’t gone up in four years. There aren’t many other small businesses that can make that claim.

· I don’t do buyouts. It’s all to do with product use. My voice is my product. If you use it, you pay for it according to a usage schedule that is older than I am. If figuring out a 13-week buy is too difficult for folks in today’s ad agencies, they should have paid closer attention in class…or found another business that isn’t so mentally taxing.

· Even if I were interested in taking part in this endeavor, is there any guarantee that it would merely be temporary until the economy gets going again? At what point would you start charging normal rates? I’d wager it would be difficult to get “budget minded” folks to adjust upwards when that time arrives.

· Finally, the idea that I should take a pay cut to help struggling small businesses has one major flaw: I’m a small business; smaller even than the smallest agency, car dealer or fast food conglomerate. I am already supporting agencies, studios and production houses by waiting 60, 90 and yes, 120 days to be paid. This isn’t a complaint – well, not a big one – because I’m shivering in the same cold economic climate, and I understand the trickle-down nature of the business. But unlike agencies, studios and production houses, as a sole proprietor, banks (already very stingy) aren’t anxious to make me a small business loan. And, unfortunately, the power company, the grocery store, the mortgage company, the college tuition program and Uncle Sam don’t like to wait 60, 90 or 120 days. I rely solely on agencies, studios and production houses to pay me in a timely manner and at a fair and equitable rate.

· I do heartily endorse your payment plan. Net in 10 for the talent is a great idea whose time should have come long ago. I hope the clients who opt for this service will consider doing the same for all projects. I reiterate – the grocery store wants to be paid now.

I applaud your initiative, but disagree with the method. There have always been economic downturns and always will be. I feel lowering rates and, in particular, lowering exclusivity standards can help only in the short term. Perhaps this is something rookie V-O talent could use to get a toe in the door. I wish them luck, though in the long run, it may do them a disservice.
Sincerely,
Marc Cashman
661-222-9300


Marc

Thanks for sharing this letter. Hopefully this will shed some light for all who read this to get a better sense of self worth!

"The Voice Of Experience"

Wishing you the best,

Kurt Kelly, Voice Artist - Actor
Live Video, Inc. ©
kurtkelly@gmail.com, livevideoinc@gmail.com
TEL 310-925-2709, FAX (610) 885-2709
http://kurtkellytalent.com/
http://myspace.com/kurtkelly
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3470753/
http://www.voices.com/people/kurtkelly
http://www.youtube.com/kurtkelly1
http://kurtkelly.com/media
http://voice123.com/kurtkelly
http://www.voiceoveruniverse.com/profile/KurtKelly
Represented by TGMD Talent Agency
323-850-6767

No comments: